Friday, July 20, 2007

H's story: Part 2

I don't remember actually being put in the ambulance but I do remember them telling me to stay with them and not go to sleep. I was in and out throughout the entire 10 minute ride to the hospital. I do remember them saying they couldn't get a blood pressure on me. I could still feel H moving when I was awake but that wasn't often. They started two IV's on me while in the ambulance.

When we got to the hospital, I recall, very vividly, S grabbing my hand as they wheeled me into the ER. I didn't have the energy to open my eyes but I knew it was him. Since we had called my doctor before calling 911, he was there waiting for us in the ER, a huge time saver. He checked H's heart rate and it was in the 80s. Normal range for a baby is 120-160. I was immediately taken to the OR for an emergency c-section. I do remember asking my doctor if they were going to take the baby. He, of course, said yes. I also told them not to cut me open because I wasn't yet feeling the anesthesia. I didn't want to feel that at all.

About an hour later I woke up in the recovery room. I saw a couple of nurses buzzing around me and then they let S come back once I was rousing. He told me that H was here, weighing a whopping 5lbs, 12oz, and 18.5" long. He was in the NICU hooked up to IVs and breathing machines. He was breathing room air but having trouble doing so due to his very early arrival. They gave him all sorts of medicine to help his immature lungs and protect his young immune system.

Due to the massive amount of blood loss, I spent the night in the ICU and was unable to see my new son. The kind NICU nurses took 3 instant camera shots of H and gave them to my husband so that I could see him. It wasn't until the next morning that we understood what had transpired the night before.

I had a placental abruption which is where the placenta begins to prematurely pull away from the uterine wall. I lost close to half of my blood volume in my bathroom and on the carpet in my bedroom. Thanks to three very sweet friends, I didn't have to clean any of it up. When the doctor opened me up, there was blood in the amniotic sac, making it very difficult to get oxygen to H, hence the drop in heart rate. We were told that H would be monitored very carefully and that the first 24-48 hours were the most critical. We were also told that he would be in the NICU for at least 3 weeks.

More to come...

No comments: