Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Where We've Lived: Washington, D.C.


With another move on our horizon (it's not set in stone but it's a possibility) I thought I would write about all the places my husband and I have lived together. We have lived in some fabulous places, learning to love each city for very different reason, appreciating their uniqueness. So, without further ado, here's the first one: Washington, D.C.


This city will always be special because it's where we met. We met at a single's group at our church, both being new the same night. We were married there 18 months later. It's also special because my mom grew up there, in Arlington, Virginia. We spent most Christmases there and some summers. So D.C. is kind of like a second home to me. I even bought my wedding dress from the same shop my mom got hers from 30 years prior.


One of my favorite memories of Christmas is driving downtown to see the big Christmas tree. My grandfather would drive me, my mom, aunt, and cousin down there to see all the lights. One year, my cousin fell asleep on the way down there. When we got close we woke her up so she could see all the pretty lights on the enormous tree. Someone said, "Look at all the pretty lights, Beth!" to which she replied, "Yeah, yeah, yeah," and promptly went back to sleep.


One of my favorite dates with my husband (then my boyfriend) was to take the Metro downtown and explore the museums and monuments. They are so neat and filled with history, beautiful architecture, and power. I also loved driving around downtown to see the cherry blossoms in the spring; it's almost like a light pink snow has fallen on the trees.


We also found lots (and I do mean LOTS) of wonderful restaurants in and around D.C. One of the best, by far, is The Lost Dog Cafe. It's a small cafe with gourmet sandwiches and pizzas. You can't go wrong with anything on their menu. Plus, they have a great selection of beer from all around the world. Any time we are up there, we make a point to eat there. There's also Cowboy Cafe, in Arlington, with great sandwiches and awesome burgers. I believe that Tuesday night is still Half-Price Burger night.


After we got married we lived in Alexandria, VA. Another favorite thing to do was wander around Old Town. There are some beautiful old homes and churches in the area, not to mention shopping. The restaurants around there are great, too, and we found a bunch. Our favorite brunch spot, Bullfeathers, closed a couple of years ago. How things change when you move away! Oh, and make sure you ask my husband about i Ricchi. That was an experience!


When we moved, right after September 11 (that's another post for another day), I cried as we left our little apartment. It wasn't anything glamorous but it was our first home as husband and wife. What blessings we received while we lived there.


Next stop: Charleston, South Carolina

No comments: