Monday, August 4, 2008

Artichokes

As a little girl, one of my favorite snacks was a mayonnaise sandwich. And it couldn't be anything other than Hellmann's. It's the only one that tastes right. I even ate the sandwich on white bread. That is, of course, until my grandfather told me that was gross and made me put a piece of lettuce on it. Right. Like that's going to make it healthier.

Since my mom and I didn't have a whole lot of money, we would sometimes have odd things for dinner. One of our favorites was steamed artichokes. Sometimes we'd share, sometimes we'd get our own. And these are just plain old steamed artichokes. I loved the silky feel on my tongue as I scraped the meat on the leaf of the choke off with my teeth. Of course, you must have something in which to dip said artichoke. Our dip of choice? Mayonnaise. Oh it was so good.

The other day I found artichokes on sale and bought two of them. I had one for lunch today and it brought back a flood of memories. I had to settle for low-fat, low-cholesterol mayo which isn't my favorite. But as I pulled each leaf off and dove into the tiny piece of meat at the bottom, I felt like I was sitting at my mom's table, sharing a wonderful treat with her.

1 comment:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

You know, I've never had a steamed artichoke... I want to try one now.