Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Confession of Worry

I'm usually not one to post about serious matters but something has been on my mind lately that I must confess. I am a worrier. Not an anxious worrier, maybe more like overly concerned.

My latest "concern" is H and his lack of walking. He's 16 months now (14 if you take into account his prematurity) and he's not even close to walking. He pulls up on furniture, even climbs up stairs, ladders and coffee tables. He'll even let go and stand freely but sits as soon as he comes close to taking a step.

(I don't think I mentioned the climbing because I haven't really blogged. K informed me the other day that I needed to come quickly to her room because H was at the top of the ladder to the girls' bunk beds. And then last weekend he learned how to climb up on top of our coffee table. These are not good things.)

Since he can do these things, I know he has the capability to walk. But he won't. Even if I try to hold his fingers, he falls limp and just hangs there with his feet in the air. He just plain doesn't want to walk. I don't know if it's because he doesn't have to (he crawls really fast) or doesn't want to or he's lazy. Either way, it's frustrating.

The worrying comes in when I think that something might be wrong with him. What if he's got something seriously wrong with him that he will have to overcome? What does this late walking mean? Why are there so many other children who are younger than he is who are walking already? Many friends have commented that it's a whole different world when they start walking because they get into so much more. Well, there's not much more he can get into when he does walk than he does now crawling. As we know, he can climb so why won't he walk?

I do realize that God speaks to this very thing, that we aren't to worry about tomorrow, it will take care of itself. We aren't to be anxious about anything but bring all of our concerns to Him. He is the ultimate comforter.

So why am I still worried?

3 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

As the mama of a son who did not walk until he was 18 months old (and he wasn't a preemie!) I SO relate to your worry. I remember worrying aloud to my mom, "What if something is wrong and he'll never walk?" I felt *exactly* how you feel now.

I'd say that it's a GREAT sign that he is bearing weight on his legs... even better that he is climbing. He crawls on all fours right?! That's good too because he is building strength through his hips doing that.

Boo refused to bear weight, climb, or pull himself up. He scooted on his bottom rather than crawling. Essentially our physical therapist told us that he didn't have sufficient muscle strength to walk. The therapy helped with that.

I'd say that he will most likely walk in his own good time. However, since he is a preemie if you're worried I would not hesitate to mention it to the pediatrician and perhaps ask for a referral to a physical therapist for a gross motor skills evaluation.

If an evaluation does indicate that physical therapy would be helpful go for it... this is good for him not only physically, but developmentally and socially.

I've always been thankful that our pediatrician referred us for an evaluation and that Boo got the help that he needed. Three months of therapy was all it took.

The same child that refused to walk or crawl taught himself to ride a two wheel bike when he was four and is now playing soccer.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with mod girl...

He will walk on his on time, but since this is a MAJOR concern to you, talk to H's pediatrician. Maybe that will put your mind at ease.

And do what you are already doing, encouraging him to walk. Thomas just started climbing so H is well ahead of him in that area! :-)

mama said...

Thanks to both of you for your encouraging words. I have spoken to the pediatrician and he said to give him until 17 months before we dive into physical therapy. Most peds would tell you to do that at 15 months but he gets 2 extra months to do everything because of his prematurity.