Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Vacation Story with Pictures

I got a call from my friend, Stef, on Wednesday morning at 7:15. People don't usually call at that hour so I was really wondering who it could be. She was calling to ask if I wanted to go with her and 2 other friends on a trip for 5 days. They had been planning this for months and someone dropped out at the last minute, leaving a space for me. They were leaving at 7:30 Thursday morning and we'd get back Monday afternoon. And I could do this all for $50. That's right, I said $50 (the cost of changing the name on the ticket).

S was already at the gym so I called him and we talked about it. He said yes and I didn't hesitate to say "Okay!" in response. I rushed around like a mad woman getting all my things together: clothes, toiletries, swimsuits, cover ups, cash and my passport.

Where did we go, you may ask? Here's a picture of my home for 5 days:
Yes, I went on a cruise to the Bahamas for 5 days with no husband and no children. Just 4 friends enjoying peace and quiet, getting to do whatever we wanted to do. We stayed up late at night, we slept late in the morning, we got massages and facials. We talked, laughed and just generally had fun. Oh, and we ate whatever we wanted whenever we wanted. I even got to watch my beloved Auburn Tigers play Tennessee with some fellow Auburn fans (which was just about the sloppiest game I've seen them play since Mississippi State. But let's not get into football just yet).
This really was a blessing to be able to drop everything and go away to relax. Kudos go to S for saying yes in the first place. Yes, he does travel a lot and I'm home with the kids by myself but he doesn't do that very much. He even managed to do all the laundry while I was gone.
This was the view I had all day Friday. The sun was out most of the day and the clouds gave us some much-needed relief from the warmth the sun provided.

A small island off the coast of Nassau, Bahamas. Those gray stripes are the sheets of rain pouring on Nassau. We were, thankfully, spared the rain while on the beach. However, we did get wet as we made our way back to the cruise ship.

These little friends greeted us each night when the steward would turn down the bed for us. My favorite one was the dog which, of course, I didn't get a picture of.

2 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! How. much. fun! What an unexpected blessing and gift for you. I'm so happy that you got to go. After spending so much time on your own with the kids I am thrilled that you had the opportunity for a getaway and for some rest. Sounds delightful. And great photos!

Here's hoping re-entry to real life isn't too tough!

Anonymous said...

How awesome! I am envious. Hope you recover soon.