Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Thoughts

I've played way too many games of solitaire today.

It's cold outside and there's a fire in the fireplace. A real one at that, with real wood; not gas logs. You just don't get the same coziness and crackles with gas logs.

L is crying because I won't let her wear the new dress we got last weekend while visiting my hometown. Never mind that it's a short-sleeved dress and it's barely 40 degrees out (hence the fire).

I think H is coming down with something since he fell asleep in my lap today. He's got a low-grade fever and is now taking a second nap.

I had a fabulous breakfast with friends this morning. Yummy food and blessed conversation (with adults!).

Both K and L got to wear Auburn shirts to school today for spirit day. It's homecoming week and today's theme is "wear-your-favorite-team's-jersey" day. I thought it was required to come up with alliterative names for the days leading up to homecoming. Phrases such as Tacky Tuesday (dress in your tackiest of clothes) and Movie Monday (dress as your favorite movie character) were staples when I was in high school. I'm not sure how being tacky or dressing as your favorite movie character is showing school spirit but it's a good excuse to not have to wear your uniform.

The bathrooms need cleaning and I hate cleaning bathrooms. It's not so much that it takes time out of my day when I could be, you know, playing solitaire; it's more that the bathrooms are just icky. Even if you clean them three or four times a week (that has NEVER happened at my house), they're still just plain icky.

The floor in the kitchen needs mopping but every time I think about it I either don't have time to finish it or there is a little one at my feet destroying the hard work I've just put into cleaning the floor.

We made s'mores last night. The girls lasted all of 30 seconds roasting the marshmallows before they declared it too hot for them to be close to the fire (not really that close) and asked S and I to do it for them.

H ate way too many marshmallows last night. (Plain, not roasted)

Doors in our house are now more speed bumps than road blocks for H. His favorite room to break into is our bathroom where he immediately heads for the drawer with S's deodorant.

The house is quiet except for the crackle of the fire.

No comments: