Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Growing Up Fast

Yesterday at nap time, H told me he wanted to sleep in his big boy bed. I asked him if he wanted to sleep in his crib or his big boy bed and he said, "I sleep in big boy bed." So I got his pillow and Barkers, his favorite stuffed dog, and he laid down and went to sleep. Just like that. He did the same at bed time last night although, in the middle of the night, he fell out of the big boy bed and S put him in the crib. But at nap time today he asked to be in the big boy bed yet again and we had a successful nap sans crib.

A few weeks ago, I thought about getting the crib out of H's room and setting it up to be a "regular" bedroom. I have a vision of what I want the room to look like and the crib doesn't fit into the plan any longer. But my plan was halted when I realized that H would be able to get out of bed whenever he wanted and could possibly give up nap time. Plus I really want him to stay in his crib as long as possible. We only took L out of the crib when we needed to set up the room for H's arrival.

So when he asked to sleep in the big bed, I wasn't prepared. I thought I would be able to handle it but it's the end of an era. Once that crib comes down, it won't go back up again. It's down for good. There's no more preparing for a baby; it's now take the crib down and store it until I decide what to do with it (really don't want to sell it or give it away). While I am perfectly fine with the size of the family (I don't feel the need to have another baby; our family is complete and I know that in my heart), I hate to see the boy growing up as fast as he is.

At the same time, there's the excitement of the next stage, of no more diapers, of starting preschool, of seeing H go through the stages the girls have already long since left behind. So today I am sad to see the end of the crib era but thankful that I have the babies I do and the time I have with them now.

I'll leave you with a conversation I had with H over the Thanksgiving holiday:
Me: H, may I see your airplane?
H: No.
Me: Why not?
H: Because no.
Me: Because no?
H: Exactly.

No comments: