Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Birthdays

This morning I had to make a run to the grocery store to pick up some items for a baby shower happening this evening. Since I signed up to bring both food and decorations, I felt it necessary to actually purchase the food. Fortunately, I have cheese and crackers so there isn't much in the way of cooking.

As I was being helped out by the bag boy, he asked if I was ready for the 4th. It kind of caught me off guard because I actually haven't thought much about it. There's a picnic at our church, complete with volleyball (S's favorite) and a large water slide (K's and L's favorite). Other than that, it hasn't been on mind. I guess it should be since I'm an American and proud to be so. But there are two big events that happen right after the 4th that are weighing much more heavily on my mind: K's and L's birthdays.

I remember celebrating the 4th 6 years ago in New Orleans. A friend of ours said it would be cool if I had my baby on his birthday, which was July 7. His wife, however, didn't think it was funny because our church friends had planned a surprise shower for me on Sunday the 7th and wanted us to be there. Well, his wish came true as I had K on the 7th and completely missed my shower.

Two years and one week later, I was doing the same thing: having a baby girl. I don't even remember the 4th that year. I barely even remember K's 2nd birthday. I think there were friends but I know there was cake.

Fast forward 4 years and here we are. I can hardly believe that my girls are about to be 6 and 4. They are growing up awfully fast and I'm not sure I like it. I love watching them in every stage; love it when their little hands grab mine knowing that all too soon they will be grown and gone.

So look for some wonderful, fabulous birthday pics in the next week or so. And have a happy 4th!

1 comment:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I think summer birthdays are the funnest... no school and lots of pretty weather with fun things to do!

Enjoy your happy days!