Thursday, August 23, 2007

Long, Glorious Hair

I'm losing my hair. It's a sad state to be in. It's not due to tearing my hair out from being Mama to three small children (and one big one) but due to giving birth nearly four months ago. After 9 months of the "pregnant glow" and wonderfully thick, flowing hair, you give birth to a gorgeous baby. And then the zits come back and the hair falls out. This has happened with every child I've had. Around said child's four-month birthday, my hair starts falling out. And I don't mean just a few hairs, I mean clumps constantly falling from my head. This time it seems to be worse and started earlier than it did with the girls. I think it seems worse because I have longer hair now than I did after I had the girls. Does that make sense? I'm just rambling, I know.

This phenomenon is not uncommon. Several of my friends have experienced the same thing and both of my sisters-in-law told me of this terrible fate when I announced I was pregnant with K. I was very thankful for the warning because I would have been horrified at the amount of hair lost after K was born. Then, some of the hair grows back and you end up with this halo of really short hairs around your no longer glowing face. Oh, it's a sad day, my friends. It's a sad day, indeed.

I think this is why so many women chop their hair off after they have kids. It has nothing to do with being easier to deal with but more because your hair is going to fall out anyway, might as well get a cute new 'do. And hair is important to us Southern girls. If you don't believe me, read this post. And the follow-up here. I'm not alone in the importance of hair to the esteem of a woman. Of course, if you saw my hair right now, you would think I really didn't care about what it looks like. Well, I do care. I just don't have time to care as much as I would like to care. Again, still rambling but this is a subject near and dear to my heart.

4 comments:

boomama said...

Oh my word - and I am in the middle of a highlighting touch-up crisis. I want to go back to the Hair Wizard, but she's in South America until the end of September. At which point my roots will touch the tops of my ears.

Anonymous said...

I have the halo and its been a year. I hate it! Everyday I fix my hair and I have this spike right between my eyes. AARRRRR!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Amen - I remember talking with you about this a few years ago! Yep, happened to me, too, after Meredith. I guess it just happens more with some than others.... and you and I already don't have thick hair anyway!!! Not fair! ha! :)

Well, don't worry - you're beautiful anyway!

Sorry I haven't been by until now - I kept forgetting to bookmark it and finally did! Hope you guys are doing well!