Monday, August 27, 2007

Tales from Toilet-Training

So, brace yourself people, it's going to be a bumpy story. Well, sort of. Anyway, I was being a good little housewife and attempting to get the laundry done. You see, if I don't do laundry every other day, it gets piled up in a huge mound that I have to dig through and then becomes overwhelming and then I don't feel like doing it. And this is only a family of five where most of the clothes are relatively small. Imagine my sister-in-law with 8 kids, 3 of whom are teenagers! My laundry amounts pale in comparison. But on with the original story.

I went in the laundry room to begin the initial sort. H has his own laundry basket, as do we, but the girls just put their own things in the big basket in the laundry room because their bedroom is right next to the laundry room so there's no need for one. As long as I remind them to put dirty laundry in the laundry room, they are pretty good about doing it. As I was sorting things, I noticed a kind of funky smell coming from the big basket. I wasn't really sure what it was but figured I would find it eventually. With L still potty-training, there are accidents every now and then. Usually, she tells me about such accidents, with her predominant problem being the more potent form of waste. I'll just leave it at that.

I put the first clean load in the dryer and began picking things to go in load number two when I ran across a pair of L's underwear. They are very cute; pink paisley! Anyway, I noticed that when I picked them up, they seemed a little, well, heavy for a pair of size 3T underwear. I peered inside only to find the source of the sour smell. That's right, people! There was "poo" in the underwear. And I don't mean little streaks that all kids seem to get but an actual pile of it. I know, it's gross. I very gingerly carried it to the bathroom and flushed it and, sadly, tossed the underwear.

I washed my hands for a good long while after that mess. I must say that's not my worst experience with potty-training gone awry but that's another story for another day. One "poo" story is enough for now.

Ah, the joys of motherhood!

2 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Eewwwww! She'll get the hang of things, though! In the past Boo has exchanged a "moist" pair of underwear with a clean, dry pair leaving me to find the offending pair in his drawer amidst all the other clean ones!

nancygrayce said...

Poor baby, she just didn't want to tell! Someday, you'll look back and vaguely remember the potty days.