Saturday, September 29, 2007

I Really Can Cook

Honestly, I can. Many of you know my ongoing saga with the corn. Well, I finally found a recipe for a corn casserole that was really good. It would have been better had I used the freshly frozen corn from my father-in-law but, alas, I broke down and used canned. (Insert very large sigh here). But it turned out great and the kids loved it. L helped pour the ingredients into the bowl, mix everything together, and put it in the casserole dish. Of course, when it came time to actually eat it, she was very hesitant but got at least one bite down. K, on the other hand, devoured it. I'm really praying that H is like K and will eat just about anything (as long as she's not allergic to it).

L is a picky eater but before you jump to conclusions about our eating rules, know that I don't fix her anything special for dinner just because I know she won't eat it. She gets what everyone else gets and has to take at least one bite of everything on her plate. She doesn't have to finish it but won't get any dessert if she doesn't and there are plenty of nights that K gets dessert and L does not.

I also was given a recipe for a side dish that K really liked and it goes great with just about anything. Take 1 can of corn (drained), 1 can of black beans (drained), and 1 can of diced tomatoes (can use Rotel if you want spicy). Mix them in a saucepan and heat through. Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top. It was so easy and very tasty. You can also substitute the tomatoes with your favorite salsa and have a wonderful, sort-of-homemade, salsa. I wouldn't recommend heating it, though!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I can attest - you are a great cook!

:)