Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Much-Needed Break

My mother-in-law (Gran) and I are providing the Wednesday night meal for our church tonight. Since I spent the majority of Thursday, Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday cooking, I decided to take a computer break yesterday. I didn't check email, log on to the internet, even look at any blogs. I really didn't have time but when the opportunity presented itself yesterday evening, I found that I didn't even want to. I just wanted the day off.

Most people who know me know that I'm an email junkie. I love email and checking out blogs daily. By the time I got to sit down last night, I was exhausted and had zero desire to stimulate my brain. I needed some down time.

I'll be back tomorrow with a really fun post so I'll see you then. In the meantime, if you're in need of yet another recipe, here's my recipe for Kitchen Sink Cookies.

Kitchen Sink Cookies
1/2C (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2C shortening
1C packed brown sugar
1/2C sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1tsp vanilla
1-1/2C flour
1tsp baking soda
1tsp cinnamon
1/2tsp salt
1/2tsp allspice
3C oats, uncooked (I use the quick-cooking, not instant)
1/2C raisins or sweetened, dried cranberries
1/2C white chocolate chips
1/2C chocolate chips
1C pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and allspice. Set aside. In another bowl, beat butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well. Add flour mixture to the sugar mixture slowly, so as not to create a cloud of white on your face and counters. Mix until just combined. Stir in oats, raisins, white chips, chocolate chips and pecans. Drop by tablespoonful on to ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes (mine took 12). Allow to cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely. Yield: 4 dozen.

No comments: