Friday, May 23, 2008

The Day the Craziness Begins

Or what most people call the last day of school. Oh, friends, it's a rough one. I can just hear L now asking, "Is it a school day for me?" all summer long. We do have a few things planned including VBS and visits from family and friends. We might even take a trip of our own, just our little family.

I think back to this time last year as K finished preschool and was headed to kindergarten. And L was registered for preschool for the very first time. H was brand new and still wasn't allowed to be around lots of people. In addition, Memorial Day weekend was when I found out I needed to have another major surgery to remove my gallbladder. What a great birthday present that was for my mom! Everyone was exhausted that week.

This summer has much more promise. H is old enough to take him anywhere we want to go. The girls are much more independent and don't need me as much to help them. And I'm kind of looking forward to the summer. Last year I dreaded it as it meant I had to deal with a preemie and two other young children. However, this summer is different. With K being in school every day, I feel like I don't see her as much and will enjoy having her around more. Plus she'll be entering first grade in the fall and will have to end her school day almost two hours later than this year.

So what are your summer plans?

2 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I found myself experiencing a euphoria on Boo's last day of school last Thursday. Like you, I'm excited to have him home all day, all summer -- to not have to navigate the carpool line!

My goal this summer is to live quietly. We're doing some schoolwork together daily, there will be VBS one week, a month's worth of swimming lessons, and lots of time for playing, reading, and the library.

I considered tennis lessons for Boo, but now I'm thinking not. We'll do some trips to Hometown, too. Hey, call me whenever you're in Home State/Hometown, okay?!

Oh, and we've got to buy a car and renovate a house...

Anonymous said...

I look forward to "next Summer" kind of like that. I don't really dread this Summer, but i know it's going to be hard with a newborn and 3 toddlers... whereas next Summer it will be 5, 4, almost 3, and a 1 year-olds.... I can't wait for that! We hope to go to the beach and pool a lot this Summer and just take it easy with Shepherd.