Sunday, June 8, 2008

Telling On Myself

S and I tried a new (to us) barbecue restaurant a few weeks ago. We like barbecue a lot and we've yet to find one that we truly love in our small town. I grew up with great barbecue so I'm sort of picky. And with S's discerning palate, he's picky about barbecue, too. I will say that this BBQ place was just okay, not one we loved.

(As a brief aside, barbecue and cookouts are two different things. Barbecue refers to the method of slow cooking your meat over an indirect heat source, often utilizing some type of wood. Many will do this to their ribs and then finish them on the grill but the essential cooking process is smoking. Grilling chicken, burgers, and hot dogs is not barbecue. That is a cookout. Just FYI.)


Just before our food arrived, as is usually the case, K announced she needed to use the girls' room. So I take her. Now the signage giving direction to the restrooms is a little confusing. As you stand in front of said sign, the bathroom doors are on your right and left. Arrows point towards "Women" and "Men." That is clearly marked. What isn't clear is the direction in which the arrows point. The word "Women" is on the right side of the sign with an arrow pointing to the left and vice versa for the men. The letters are of equal height and the arrows basically point at the opposite word. Just trust me; it was confusing for someone who wasn't really paying close attention.

I believe you can see where I'm going with this. Yes, you guessed it, I walked into the men's room. With my little girl. When I saw the urinal I knew I was in the wrong place and immediately backtracked. K was quite confused as to why we weren't going to the bathroom but I didn't answer and just kept moving to the correct restroom. Blessedly no one was in the men's room so I didn't scare some poor soul and scar my daughter's eyes for life. That urinal is right at the front and we would have seen things we didn't want to see.

This brought flashbacks of my childhood when I did the exact same thing as a seven-year-old at a friend's birthday party. I'm just thankful no one noticed!

1 comment:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I did that one time as a kid... but never as a grown-up! Glad you didn't get an eye full!