Monday, April 21, 2008

The Playground

Most afternoons after K gets out of school, I let the girls play on the playground at school. In fact most of the moms allow their kids to play out there so I get to visit with other Mommies and the girls run off some steam. It's win-win.

Today was no exception. H and I hadn't finished lunch and food is not something we mess around with. The girls were having a great time as K played with her friends and L made new ones. Honestly, that girl doesn't know a stranger. I'm sitting chatting with a mom, feeding H minuscule bites of chicken nugget, when I notice that the teachers on the playground are all watching a child go across the monkey bars, encouraging her with each grasp of the next bar. That's when I notice it's my child going across the bars. Not K but L. The three-year-old. The one who barely weighs enough to be in a forward-facing seat! And she flew across those bars.

Y'all, she was so proud of herself. It was so much fun to watch her accomplish something she'd never done before. And those teachers were just cheering her on as if she were one of theirs. What encouragement!

No comments: