Saturday, April 26, 2008

What Do You Mean You Don't Have a Computer?

We have an old sofa. By old, I mean at least 15 years. (I do realize that many of us have furniture way older than this but you must remember quality is very important when holding on to pieces of furniture.) It was given to S and I just before we got married by a family friend who was updating their living room. Although it has served us well, it's time to move on. I must get rid of the forest green plaid! Oh, I forgot to mention that it's broken and has been for the past year.

The good thing about a free, old, broken sofa is that you don't really care if the kids spill yogurt or throw up on it. It's not a big deal. But I've had enough of the old sofa. I found a great sofa and picked out the fabric I wanted and everything. One of the fabrics is a really neat print that would look great on a side chair. I just happen to have one of those that needs some new fabric (peachy-pink doesn't exactly go with our decor).

I was able to find the fabric online for a great price but needed to know both the vertical and horizontal repeat so that I'd know how much fabric to order. So I called the company. A nice woman answered but quickly got testy with me. When I asked about the fabric she said she'd never heard of it. Did I find it on their website, she asked. Yes, I did. Yes, I had the right store. We went around this for several minutes. I figured she could just look it up in her computer or go to her own website for the info. "We don't have a computer." WHAT? You're a fabric company with an extensive website and you don't have a computer? "We keep our computer in the office. I don't have time to deal with computers so I don't have one." You can't even bother yourself to go to the office computer to look this up? Apparently not. I was told to call back on Monday and speak to the woman who runs the website. She should know about this specific fabric. She was, conveniently, not in the office on Friday.

My immediate response was to never call back and warn others that this company is incompetent and they need to get themselves a computer. This isn't 1953, people. However, I want to see if this web girl knows about this fabric that she has posted on this website. Any bets?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is strange!

You could always google and check ebay; that's where I get most of my fabric. Hope you get it!