Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Another Off the Shelf

This time it's Mosaic: Pieces of My Life So Far by Amy Grant. I need to give just a little background on this book. I have loved Amy Grant since I was 5 years old. In fact, I had an entire routine worked out to her Amy Grant in Concert: Volume 2 album, back when we listened to records! Oh, it was special. I even had dreams of being her back up singer (lofty aspirations, I know!).

So when this book came along, I wanted to read it but didn't want to at the same time. I don't know what my hesitation was but I just didn't have the desire. I guess I'm just not big on autobiographies. Then a very sweet friend not only gave me a copy of it but had it signed for me (she has connections). That made me feel inclined to read it.

I will say this book isn't quite what I expected. You do get the story of her life and how she got into the music business and all but if you're looking for deep, revealing secrets of her life, this book doesn't have it. I'm really glad for that because I think celebrities nowadays feel the need to make every aspect of their lives public when their private lives really should be just that: private.

My favorite chapter is Dorothy Lee. It's just a really sweet story, one of those unexpected blessings that you don't set out to get. I won't go into details but let's just say that Vince gave an older woman a very special surprise birthday visit.

This book does give insight into Amy's life and how she handles the pressures of songwriting, the experiences she's been blessed to have and even some of her struggles. If you are a fan of Amy's my guess is that you'll enjoy the book.

No comments: