Saturday, March 8, 2008

Austenland

While it may seem that the books are just flying off of my bookshelf, the real truth is that I started a bunch of books at the same time and now I'm working on finishing them. Today's book is Austenland by Shannon Hale.

If you like Jane Austen in the slightest, then this book is for you. I'm actually not a huge fan of Jane's and have never once seen Pride and Prejudice but I really enjoyed this book. I started it just a few days ago and couldn't put it down. Except for those times when three little ones demanded silly things of me such as food, clean diapers, and goodnight kisses.

Our heroine, Jane (Hayes, not Austen), a contemporary kind of girl with a secret crush on Mr. Darcy, finds herself the lucky recipient of an all-expenses-paid vacation to an English resort. The women who find themselves at this resort all have a secret desire to live in 1800's England, just like most of Austen's work. What ensues is a combination of love, mystery, and the realization that the fiction world is just that: fiction.

I must say that when I was reading this, reading conversations that were supposed to be taking place in the 19th century, I couldn't help but think of Mod Girl. This book would be right up your alley, friend! This book was such a wonderful getaway for my mind. I say that about a lot of my books because that seems to be the only time I can turn my mind off: when I can focus on a make believe world and be a fly on the wall. I could honestly see this being turned into a fantastic romantic comedy as it has many great components of those films: love, humor, etc. What I liked most was that it just took me away, into a land that no longer exists but seems so perfectly real.

Thanks to PJ for recommending this book!

2 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I'll have to check it out; sounds like a fun spin. I enjoy reading Jane Austen every now and then, but there are so many other fun and interesting books.

Beth said...

Have been catching up on your posts...I'd missed a few days! I'm going to post again on Tuesday :-)

The book sounds like fun and good for you for relishing the quiet, the noises of home.