Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Book Review

This week it's The Appeal by John Grisham. I will tell you right off the bat that if you like John Grisham books, you'll like this one. It's his same formula for legal drama.

The Appeal starts off with a lawsuit filed by a woman whose son and husband both died of cancer as a direct result of toxic waste being dumped into their water supply. The chemical company is clearly at fault and the jury concurs, giving her a huge amount of money for her loss. Of course, the company appeals (hence the title of the book).

This is where it gets interesting. The main focus of the book is how the company goes about trying to buy its way out of this lawsuit. I guess this falls under the category of spending money to make money. It's a really good look at the way appeals, big business and their highly-paid attorneys, and small-town lawyers operate. There's the typical Grisham twist which is always expected but this one really caught me by surprise.

What to say about the ending? Well, I wasn't surprised but was disappointed. I don't want to ruin in so I'll just leave it at that.

I have found, in doing these reviews, that what I like about all of the books I read is that they are an escape from my life. I tend to read things that have nothing to do with my everyday life. I guess I get enough of that so I want to be taken away into a land where I am a fly on the wall, so to speak.

I've also noticed that my list is getting shorter and shorter so I need some suggestions. As you can tell, I like a wide variety of books, almost any subject is good. Fiction, non-fiction matters not. I usually don't like romances or girly-type books. Give me Michael Crichton or John Grisham any day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i should read that book.

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I read to escape too! I'm looking forward to reading The Appeal. You should read Garlic and Sapphires! It's very entertaining and very well written.