Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Great Story

This is one for the ages folks! Yes, we're back from our very relaxing trip and I'll post some pictures later. However, I must get this story told before I forget to write it down.

Last night, S and I went for a late dinner. We decided to go some place nice as the end to a wonderful weekend away. We went to a great little restaurant and enjoyed a fabulous meal, S's being better than mine (it always seems to be that way). In the course of our dinner conversation I mentioned that I wondered what famous people did on Saturday nights. I know that the real big celebrities go out and party and what have you but I was referring to smaller time celebrities. So I said to S, "What do you think Tommy Tuberville is doing right now? Is he home with his family, enjoying a wonderful Saturday night in? Or is he out doing something else?" (For those blissfully unaware, TT is the head football coach at my beloved Auburn.)

We walked around a bit after dinner and then headed to the valet stand to wait for our car. It was a very busy night and there were very few parking spots so we splurged on valet (it really wasn't too bad). S and I were chatting and laughing, basically enjoying ourselves, when who should walk up behind S than Tommy Tuberville. Y'all, I about wet myself because what are the odds that TT would be in the exact same place as me on the very night I had questioned his whereabouts? It was so hilarious that I had to tell TT about the whole story. I introduced myself, told him I was an alum, shook his hand when it was offered to me, and proceeded to tell him the conversation S and I had had that very night at dinner. He was so kind, very happy to listen to my story even if he now thinks I'm some crazy woman.

(As a brief aside, I did not accost the poor man. He was standing, literally, less than two feet away from me as we were standing right by the valet stand and he had to walk next to us to hand his ticket to the valet man.)

We shook hands again, I got another hearty War Eagle! from him and we got in our car. Of course, I had to call my best friend, Sporty Mama, and tell her the whole thing even though it was late. I will say that it was so nice to meet him and the meeting would have been cool in the first place but the whole conversation at dinner just made it unbelievable! It was a great ending to a perfect weekend!

4 comments:

boomama said...

THAT? Is 74 kinds of awesome. I LOVE IT!

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

That's great! I'm glad it happened to you because I know you enjoyed it a whole lot more than, ahem, some of us others...

So, where did you guys go? Can't wait to hear about your weekend!

emily said...

so the next time i see you, can we have a conversation about how "i wonder what it would be like for someone to walk by and hand us each $5000?!" and let's see if you can be 2 for 2! :) great story... can't wait to hear about your trip!

Anonymous said...

whata great story! thanks for calling me and sharing. i'm glad you had a fantabulous weekend. i can't wait for mine.