Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Favorite Time of Year

This is one of my favorite times of the year. I love the music (if you haven't heard Jill Phillips and Andrew Peterson sing Labor of Love then you're really missing out), the focus of fellowship with friends and family, the food, the decorations, the lights glowing from the windows and doorframes of houses all around. Of course, we don't have a tree up yet but that's an entirely different post.

But that got me thinking: why aren't we doing this all throughout the year? Max Lucado touches on this in his book God Came Near, so this is not my original idea but I am expounding on what he wrote. Why aren't we focusing on Christ as our risen King all 365 days of the year (or 366 in the case of 2008) as opposed to this one day? Aren't we supposed to celebrate Him everyday?

And why don't we get together with our friends, neighbors, coworkers, family at other times in the year? We really should. I realized that I only saw my dad's parents at Thanksgiving and my mom's parents at Christmas and sometimes one other time in the year. We should open our homes, welcome in others. The greatest gift you can give someone is the gift of your time. We all have very busy lives, some busier than others, but if we're taking the time to slow down one day of the year, why can't we take just a little more of our time and focus on Christ the other 364 days?

I've noticed that as I get older, we tend to focus on the parties, the gifts, the decorations, the tree, the food (which is a huge part of the holiday. Please don't get me started on food because S and I have had many discussions about what's to be eaten on Christmas day). But when was the last time you invited your coworkers or your friends to your house for dinner? And Christmas parties don't count. Just think about it.

So here's a challenge for you (again, to the five people who regularly read this blog): invite someone to your home for dinner or dessert and coffee and some fellowship in 2008. And don't wait until this time next year. Do it after the holidays, after every present has been unwrapped, exchanged, worn, broken in, broken, and loved on. After all the food has been eaten and your stomach returns to its normal size. You can serve soup and salad to cut down on calories (just check out BooMama's site for some soup recipes. There's bound to be at least one that you're willing to try).

O, come, let us adore him,
O, come, let us adore him,
O, come, let us adore him,
Christ the Lord.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Great thoughts. Great challenge!

Edi said...

We need to hear more of this.

I grew up in a home where there was almost zero hospitality...except once in awhile my grandparents or a relative would come over.

I decided that was not how it was going to be me. When I had my own apartment - I used it for hospitality...both dinner guests and overnight guests.

Now that I'm married and have children - "full steam ahead!" We try to invite someone over for a meal at least 2x a month...sometimes it's a family, sometimes a single person... I really enjoy hospitality.

Problem is - it seems to be a very rare thing. We went to a church for over a year and not one person invited us over for dinner, out for lunch - etc. UNTIL we invited them first. Almost all of our hospitality has been reciprocated (not that we do it for that reason) - but my question is - why doesn't someone else make the first move??

Is everyone too busy with school, multiple jobs, church commitments, sports activities etc.?

Some people feel like they just can't "do" hospitality b/c they are not good at it - as I mentioned, I came from a home where there was no hospitality - and yet I learned to do it. Or they think it's too much work...well isn't a friendship worth a bit of time and work.

One bonus of having hospitality is that it gives me the impetus to get the house thoroughly cleaned up!

The only way you can really develop relationships is to work on them and to have some one-on-one time with friends /relatives/ co-workers/church members.

nancygrayce said...

You are sooooo right! We should be given to hospitality! In years past, we have loved having campus ministry kids stay with us. We also have many who grew up quite literally in our home that we consider our own and try to have them over often. I think at church, we should start inviting two families home or dinner.....but who's going to get the house clean? :) Thanks for that reminder!

mama said...

In response to edible education's comment...

When Christ spent his time here on earth, he gave. He came not to be served but to serve. He did many things, giving of himself, not asking anything in return. I have to remind myself of that constantly. He said, "Whatever you have done to the least of these, my brethren, you have done unto me."

Keep having those people over! Remember that one hour of fellowship outside of church is worth about 4 hours of time at church. Those relationships will be ones that you will cherish!