Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Making New Memories


I must say that Christmas 2007 has to be one for the books. So many fun and funny things happened that I don't know that I can include it all in one blog. I'm going to do my best so just bear with me.

First, on Christmas Eve, Papa, PJ, S and I enjoyed a meal of wine and cheese. It's become a little tradition of ours to do this on Christmas Eve when they are with us. It was delightful until I tried to cut the end of my thumb off with a very sharp knife. No trip to the ER was necessary (I've had enough ER visits for this year, thank you very much!) but there was blood and I had a large bandage on my thumb for opening presents on Christmas morning.

Christmas morning saw grandparents up before grandchildren. I didn't really think this was possible on Christmas but it was. The girls didn't get up until almost 8. We ate breakfast, then H demanded his breakfast. Since I'm the only one who can do that for him right now, I excused myself to take care of that business.

As I was sitting on my bed nursing H, S came in and said that he'd had an accident. That's not something I want to hear coming from him. He comes around the corner and I see that his shirt is soaking wet. You see, S likes to brine his turkeys. They are the best turkeys you've ever put in your mouth, moist and delicious, never dry. Well, in order to brine them, he puts the brine and the turkey in a trash bag, then into a cooler for the night. As he was lifting the turkey out of the cooler, the bag split, sending all the liquid and the 13-pound turkey splashing back into the cooler. Brine went everywhere: on the floor, on the counter, on S, on the windowsill, on the dishwasher door, on the living room floor, on the ceiling (I kid you not). So Papa, PJ and S spent the next 20-30 minutes getting all the brine (which includes a good deal of spices) off the surfaces it did not belong on.

The presents were fun to open, the meal was delicious and filling and tiring all at the same time. Stockings were opened and S even got to build a fire, which made it feel even more like Christmas. We spent Christmas night playing a game that K got. At one point, K, L, H and I were on the floor playing this game while S doted on the fire and Papa and PJ were playing with their presents (Sudoku for PJ; a WWII book for Papa). It was the perfect picture of a cozy Christmas night, all that I'd ever dreamed for my kids. This is a memory I never want to forget.

By the way, the turkey was delicious!

1 comment:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

"the meal was delicious and filling and tiring all at the same time." I hear you! It's time to take a little break from cooking now, isn't it?

I'm so glad you all had a merry holiday! Enjoy the time with you mom too!

P.S. I've enjoyed reading your Christmas memories. I've known you forever but had never heard those stories. I especially enjoyed the memories of your grandparents, since I never really knew them very well. I hope you still have the locket and that you will give it to one of your girls.