Sunday, December 23, 2007

Memories of Christmas Past

I posted a few days ago about one of my favorite Christmas Eve memories. Today, I thought I would post one of my favorite Christmas Day memories.

Christmas when I was 11 was a pretty memorable one. There are other that stick out, like the time my mom and I made it to my grandparents' house only minutes before a huge snowstorm hit. Or the time my cousin, Ebie, got a Cabbage Patch Kid from her mom (my aunt). Only Aunt Jane had waited just a little too long to get said doll and was left to choose from the boy dolls. Ebie's doll came named, as did all the CPK dolls, Clint Lionel.

Back to Christmas at 11. We were there a few days before Christmas and my Papa, in typical male fashion, had a few gifts left to purchase. One thing he wanted to get was a phone for Ebie. Of course, I wanted a phone, too, even though I had gotten a very cool Snoopy phone the previous year. Papa would always pick out one gift for all his girls (my mom, me, my aunt, and my cousin) that was just from him. I was sorely disappointed when he came out of the store with only that one phone. I had a bad attitude about it for the rest of the day.

Christmas morning rolled around and my bad attitude reared its ugly head when Ebie opened her phone. She was very excited, as any nine-year-old would be. But then I got to my gift from Papa. It was a small box, much smaller than the phone. I opened it up and inside was a beautiful silver heart locket. I felt so guilty about wanting some stupid plastic phone. The locket was beautiful and I knew that he had me in mind when he bought it. I immediately put it on and gave him a huge hug. What a wonderful Papa I had!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Enjoying your remembrances!