Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What's in a Name?

H. Bug-a-boo. Big man. Little man. Hot stuff. Buddy. Big boy. Chunky monkey. Chunker. Chubs. Mama's boy. Moose.

These are all names I have been known to use in reference to my son. When I originally started this blog, we really thought Moose was going to be his nickname. Not something that other people called him but what we called him at home, just like K is Munchkin and L is Monster. Frankly, I don't like the name Moose but S seemed to really like it and I just couldn't stop the madness. Actually, I didn't really like Monster, either, but it stuck and there was no getting rid of that. And there are plenty of days when she lives up to that name.

The funny thing is, Moose isn't really sticking. As much as his father likes it, it's really hard to call H Moose. For some reason, it's just not working. And when S tries to call him Moose, it sounds contrived, almost forced.

(By the way, most of his cousins and some of our friends call him Baby H. I have a feeling that will continue the rest of his life. On his wedding day, the family will be saying things like, "I can't believe Baby H is old enough to get married!" and other such nonsense.)

I don't know what nickname he'll end up with. Both Munchkin and Monster were adapted at a very young age so we shall see what happens.

What are your kids' nicknames?

3 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Boo and Tukes are our main ones for the boys. Both were "chosen" by the professor when the boys were infants, and, well, they've just stuck. Both times I said, "Oh, we can't call him Boo/Tukes." But, we do anyway! It can't be explained!

Anonymous said...

We call Lydia "LYdia" (Lie- dee- uh) because our Syrian pediatrician always pronounced her name incorrectly (did you guys go to him at one point, too? on Jenks?) - hahaha.

Steven is Steve-o, and Meredith is Merr-Merr.

I guess ours are more name-based nicknames, not pet names. Are we boring? :)

Hmmmm, you could do something like H-man, or He-man. Haha.

Anonymous said...

james has started calling thomas polpot after the cambodian dictator who was a tyrant. sad i know!