Tuesday, January 22, 2008

As a Brief Aside

I posted yesterday about how S and I met. After he read through it, he mentioned a concern he had about it so I thought I would clear up one small detail.

I said that the first time I met S, I thought he was a jerk because he didn't talk to me the first night I met him. All of that is true. He said exactly 3 words to me and paid no more attention to me than if I were a fly on the wall.

However, as I discovered at the fall retreat a few weeks later, he was really a sweet guy. It turns out that he was very shy and intimidated by me. He saw that I was talking to lots of people and so thought I was one of the popular ones. Little did he know that I was new that night, too.

As we got to know each other, he became more comfortable around me and our conversations were effortless. He was also comfortable within our group of friends. I am still the outgoing one while he is comfortable holding back. The first time we went to a new church in Charleston we left without speaking to one person. His idea was to get in and get out without talking to a soul.

Mission: Accomplished.

No comments: