Monday, January 28, 2008

Of Exploding Hot Dogs and a Trip to the ER

Note to self: when broiling hot dogs, make sure to keep an eye on them as they tend to get done rather quickly. The funny thing is that I was trying to keep an eye on them. I just got side-tracked with trying to get ready to go to dinner with my two best friends. By the time I got done putting on makeup and brushing my hair, all of 6 minutes, the hot dogs had become black and charred on the outside and had, indeed, exploded. If I hadn't been in such a hurry, I would have taken a picture.

I did make it to dinner, had a wonderful time full of fun conversation, fellowship, and child-free eating. As we were about to leave, the sitter called and said H was breathing funny. I gave her some instructions and said I was on the way.

I made it home quickly but safely and found H breathing very laboriously. S was out of town so I asked the sitter to stay with the girls. She said yes without hesitation. I called a friend, who had been at dinner with me, and picked her up on the way to the ER. We were seen immediately and the staff took very good care of my baby. I was worried about RSV, pneumonia, all sorts of bad things but all those tests were negative. It was bronchiolitis and after 3 breathing treatments, a steroid shot and some fever-reducing medication, we were sent home. That visit was approximately 4 hours and we finally hit the sack around 2:15am.

Needless to say, I was exhausted on Friday and still feel like I haven't fully recovered. H is doing just fine, still getting breathing treatments for the next few days. He was on steroids for a few days but doesn't need them any more. Other than congestion resulting from the bronchiolitis, you'd never know he had to go to the ER.

One thing I've been worried about with S gone so much is that there would be an emergency and I'd have to drag all 3 kids to the ER in the middle of the night. But God provided everything I needed that night, just as he had when H was born. I had a friend who offered to go to the ER with me, I had a sitter who didn't have school the next day and could stay the night with my kids. This is the same sitter who had the presence of mind to call me before it got really bad. I had friends in the ER who expedited us to a room so we didn't have to wait. Above all, I had the comfort and peace of Christ with me the whole time.

Why would I expect anything less?

2 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

I'm so glad that Little Man is doing much better. Praise God for His watch-care over us, His children, and His loving provision for all that we need. This post is a wonderful testimony to that. And you are right, we shouldn't expect anything less!

Beth said...

Amen and Amen. Why should we expect anything less? And yet I am so guilty of worry and fear sometimes. I am glad your baby is well.