Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I Have Died and Gone to Heaven

Anyone who knows me well knows that I have a not-so-secret love of all things chocolate. I have inherited this, strangely enough, from my father. My mother, while liking chocolate, prefers caramel and fruit desserts.

Actually, I inherited my father's sweet tooth, which he got from his father. But that's getting into a whole different subject and I NEED to talk about chocolate right now.

I've found that I really prefer homemade brownies. In a pinch, boxed will do but only one kind: Ghirardelli. They are, by far, the best boxed brownie mix that is readily available. And they are easy to make and will satisfy any chocolate craving you could possibly have.

While at the store the other day, however, I found something that tops the "regular" Ghirardelli brownie mix I've been purchasing: Ghirardelli Ultimate Fudge Brownies with Chocolate Fudge Topping and Chocolate Chips. Now if this doesn't put you into chocolate overload, I don't know what will.

Here's where it gets tricky. The "Easy Directions" tell you how to mix, pour, and bake these little devils. They even tell you to warm the fudge topping so that it will be easily spreadable. Here's step #5, word for word: Cut top off fudge topping pouch and squeeze onto warm brownies. Gently smooth over top. Cool completely before cutting. Makes 16, 2-inch brownies.

Hello!?! Cool completely? Do they know who they are talking to? I don't know of any woman who can patiently wait for brownies to completely cool before cutting into them. The agony! And 16, 2-inch brownies? Maybe that would work if I were having some sort of formal tea party and no one wanted to scarf down a huge brownie in front of a bunch of people. But you know that when they get home they are eating the four brownies they stuffed in their purse when no one was looking.

All this to say that I haven't actually tried these brownies but when I do, I'll be sure to report back after I wake up from my sugar coma.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I share the addiction. Do you like bread pudding? Check this out:
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=421669

Beth said...

I don't think the link works...anyway, it's Chocolate Chunk Bread Puddings at the "My Recipes" site and it's a Cooking Light recipe. To die for!