Monday, January 14, 2008

It's Really a Matter of Pride

When S and I were first married, one of our favorite things to do was get the newest Bon Appetit magazine, thumb through it, and pick out a recipe or two to try. There was always something that looked good to both of us and we have learned from that to be adventurous in the kitchen.

With that adventurous spirit in the kitchen came some notoriety as culinary "experts" (I use that term very loosely). Our friends ask us questions about how to cook things, for advice on how to make things, for recipe ideas. We tend to know our way around the kitchen and when people who know us come to our house for a meal, they know it's going to be really good.

So when S came home from the store and announced that we'd be having hot dogs and macaroni and cheese for Sunday lunch with friends who had never been to our home, I was mortified. How could we serve something so lowly? We had to impress these people. Sure, I didn't mind serving that to the kids but couldn't we find some other protein to serve to the adults? Hot dogs are so cheap, so unimpressive.

He reminded me that I had told him to find something that would be easy, that could be prepared quickly after church was over, with very little stress. I tried to convince him to use the pork chops we were going to have for dinner Saturday night but he had his mind set and it's really hard to change his plan once it has been established.

I reluctantly agreed to the lowly hot dogs, saddened by the fact that I wasn't going to get to create, that I wasn't going to show off my mad culinary skillz. (And I do have some mad skillz.) But then I realized that it was really a matter of pride that was causing this reaction. I began to understand that I needed this in my life, that I needed people to think of me as someone who can really cook. I need to impress people, as my Southern roots dictate, and this is one way I have of doing that.

My pride was bruised and sore in the morning but all that vanished when we got home from church and lunch preparations began. The meal came together quickly, leaving us more time to talk and get to know one another. No one complained that there wasn't a gourmet meal on the table and I think we all had a genuinely good time. Wasn't that the point?

I believe there are times for impressive food. There are times when it's good to have something on the table other than hot dogs and macaroni and cheese. This was not one of those times. Yesterday was about fellowship, about enjoying our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.

So if you're ever down my way, know that I promise you a good meal and good fellowship. It may be hot dogs, it may be Beef Bourguignon slowly simmered for hours, but it will be good!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Ooooooh, I understand. I would've had the same reaction. Good points, though. Priorities in order.

And, we may be having company this weekend...hopefully get to take your suggested challenges of late.

Kristie said...

Thank you so much for this post. I too feel like I have to make a really nice dinner for any company we have. But it's not always the easiest, fastest or cheapest which is important too when you are out of time, creativity or money. So God bless you for sharing your heart and being a witness in this area sweet sister. :) Love, Kristie