Thursday, January 31, 2008

Flashbacks

As I was making S's birthday cake, ever so gently folding in the sour cream at the end, I remembered one little gem from my childhood. Which led to another memory, which led to another, which led to...well, you get the point. So I thought I would share a few fun memories from my childhood.

Things I Remember
  • My friend, Kerry, eating an entire 8-ounce carton of sour cream and then promptly regurgitating it on the kitchen floor. Did I mention that we were about 4 at the time?
  • Feeding our dog, Max, vanilla wafers while sitting on the floor of our pantry (I would take a bite and feed the rest to him).
  • Falling off the brick wall in our back yard and slicing my stomach on the newly-pruned bushes.
  • Being pushed off the bench by a friend (I'm not naming names) in first grade and falling, face first, onto a railroad tie. One of my permanent teeth was shoved all the way back up into my gums. That night I was told to practice putting my hands out in front of me when I fell. (Apparently, that's supposed to be a natural reflex but I must have missed that one.)
  • The gift I gave my second grade teacher for Christmas being stolen off her desk. It was returned at the end of the year. I still don't know who took it.
  • Finding a raw egg when hunting for Easter eggs with my friend, Olivia. I had egg yolk all over my dress and tears streaming down my face.
  • Our dog, Love, rolling her own head up in the car window. She was fine.
  • Our dog, Annie, trying to go after another dog while in that same car and hitting the windshield with her head. It broke (the windshield, not her head). She, too, was fine.
  • All of my dolls were named Julie except for Victoria, the only doll I still have. Victoria was the name she came with.

I hope at least one of these made you smile!

3 comments:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

Thanks for the laughs this morning! (Who was it that pushed off the bench? I hope it wasn't me!) And, I love what you've done with the bloggy place. Looks great!

mama said...

It most definitely was not you who pushed me off the bench that fateful day. But it was someone you know!

Beth said...

I was going to say that your new colors and such look nice, too!

I enjoyed reading your funny memories. Isn't it odd, what things stick in our minds like snapshots?

Once, at about age 12, I passed out after taking a bath, and apparently bumbled about the bathroom, unconscious, long enough to bash my face into the side of the iron bathtub, resulting in stitches in my gums! Ha!